Funds and Services
Elgin St. Thomas Community Foundation Fund Designations
Endowment Fund principal is invested and the interest on investment flows back to local charities into perpetuity. The Elgin-St. Thomas Community Foundation has 5 different Types of Fund Designations, and additional donor services outlined below. This allows great flexibility to tailor an Endowment Fund specific to your interests or level of involvement. Please contact us for more detailed information on any of these Funds or Services.
1. Community Fund/Unrestricted
Grants from the Community Fund prioritize the following 5 areas: Environment, Arts and Culture, Education, Social Services, and Recreation.
2. Field of Interest Funds
Funds intended to provide support for a general area (such as Youth or Wildlife) without limitations to a specific organization or beneficiary. This fund does not require donor participation in developing grant criteria or allocating grant
Active Living Scholarship Fund. Established by the OhiOntario International Friendship Games Association will support post secondary education in the area of physical activity.
3. Donor Designated
Funds which support particular area of interest, agencies, organizations, or charitable activity (such as a scholarship for example) as named/selected by the donor at the time of the gift.
- Howard and Alice Williams Fund– guided by direction provided in their estate, this fund has a focus on Education.
- St. Thomas-Elgin Tourist Association Scholarship Fund awards annual scholarships for second year post secondary school education in a travel and tourism related area of study.
4. Agency Funds
Funds established by charitable organizations as permanent funds to ensure an ongoing source of support for their programs and operations.
- YWCA of St. Thomas Elgin Endowment Fund
- Elgin Children’s Foundation Endowment Fund
- YMCA of St. Thomas Elgin Endowment Fund
- Pearce Williams United Church Christian Centre Fund
- Elgin St. Thomas Community Foundation Endowment Fund
5. Donor Advised Funds
Funds enabling donor participation in developing grant criteria and directing the distribution of income from their fund.
- McGregor Morris Fund– A family fund dedicated to supporting Art in Public Places.
- Turnberry Fund– A family fund that supports local and regional charities established by Sine and William Herold.
- Thomas C. Fox Fund– A family fund with proceeds to Elgin County charities.
- Dennis Redman Memorial Scholarship Fund– A donor advised fund established to support post secondary education in firefighting and emergency services.
- The Janet and Marion Morgan Environmental Fund– Established to support environmental, animal welfare and wildlife protection agencies.
- Joanne Brooks Community Fund– A family fund established in memory of former mayor Joanne Brooks, this fund will support local charities and projects that reflect her concern for others, and passion for community values.
- Colchester Fund – An anonymous family fund established that to support local and regional charities.
- Jaden Wood Memorial Fund – A family fund to celebrate Jaden’s life.
- ELGIN CFDC- Helen LeFrank Entrepreneurial Youth Fund will provide an annual grant to support youth entrepreneurship, and business start-up.
- Kohler Family Community Fund– A family fund established to support local charities and projects that reflect family values, and provide scholarships to support post secondary education.
- Parks and Recreation/Pinafore Endowment Fund -is committed to maintaining the St. Thomas Parks and Recreation heritage for generations and will contribute to capital projects and improvements to our Parks, Recreation or Trails infrastructure.
- Sweetgrass Fund– A family fund established by Bob McCaig and Janet Taylor to support local charities and projects that help to build community.
- Jim O’Grady Legacy Fund– Established in memory of Jim O’Grady an his love of sports, will support registration and equipment for children who would otherwise not be able to participate in sporting activities due to lack of funds.
- Costello Music and Storytelling Scholarship Fund – established by Mickey and Gerry Costello and will celebrate talented music and storytelling performers from Elgin County through scholarship awards.
- Jean and Fred Biehl Fund – has been established by Jean and Nancy Biehl to support environmental and animal welfare protection agencies.
- Kiwanis Club of St. Thomas Fund– has been established to support leadership in promoting healthy living and active lifestyles for children.
- Marg and Harold Carroll Fund– established to support local and regional charities and projects.
- Bud and Melba Marr Fund – established to support regional and local charities with a focus on health care, community and youth.
In Addition to Endowment Funds, the Elgin-St. Thomas Community Foundation provides two additional services to our community and to donors.
Funds entrusted by other charitable organizations to the foundation for investment management only.
- St. Thomas Elevated Park Project Fund – established by the Corporation of the City of St. Thomas and the On Track St. Thomas: A Stronger Future Linked To Our Heritage to support the purchase and stabilization of the Michigan Central Railroad Kettle Creek Bridge and associated properties.
Flow through donations that will be granted in the same fiscal year as they are received. Though this is not an endowment fund, we are happy to provide administrative services, and charitable receipting.